In the original Modern Trader report, we challenged the common assumption that traders live luxurious city lifestyles when we uncovered that the majority of traders earn a modest household income of less than £35k per year. In 2018, the stereotype continues to fall further from reality. In the last 12 months, the average household income of online traders has dropped even lower, and our data suggests that less than 5% of modern traders actually live in a major financial city.CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. Between 65% and 82% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Since 2013, we’ve collected data on over half a million traders to produce one of the most comprehensive studies on traders’ demographics and behavior. You can access the entire report for free.
Highlights from the report:
- 1 in 7 online traders are female (up from 1 in 10 in 2017)
- Less than 5% of traders live in a major financial city
- 4.3 Million people have started trading in the past year
- The UK has the most online traders in Europe (1 in 100 Brits have traded online)
- Herefordshire has the highest percentage of female traders (21.82%) in the UK
- Millennials represent 58% of all online traders
- The average British trader earns £35,742 per year
- Less than 1% of online traders in the UK earn more than £75,000
- Females deposit $424 less than males on average
- The percentage of women traders who preferred trading cryptocurrencies compared to traditional instruments has increased from 41% to 59% in the past year
You can read the full report (and access the appendix data) here.
How does this compare to 2017?
Want to read the original Modern Trader Report? You can access the 2017 report. In 2017, we also produced a visualisation of the 9.6 Million online traders represented as 100 people, which you can see below.
Journalists & bloggers: You are welcome to reference & reuse any of the data, statistics, or images from the report. All we ask is that you credit BrokerNotes as the source with a link.
More Forex Guides
- Best Forex Brokers
- Best CFD Brokers
- Best Zero Spread Brokers
- Best MetaTrader Brokers
- Best Brokers for Mac
- Compare Forex Brokers
Forex Risk Disclaimer
There is a very high degree of risk involved in trading securities. With respect to margin-based foreign exchange trading, off-exchange derivatives, and cryptocurrencies, there is considerable exposure to risk, including but not limited to, leverage, creditworthiness, limited regulatory protection and market volatility that may substantially affect the price, or liquidity of a currency or related instrument. It should not be assumed that the methods, techniques, or indicators presented in these products will be profitable, or that they will not result in losses. Learn more about foreign exchange risk.